Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Checking Out Some Social Networking Sites

There are various types of social networking sites available on the internet. People can choose which ones to join based on their interests. The few networking sites that I have tried so far are MySpace, Facebook, Friendster, and YouTube. MySpace was the very first social network I joined. My friend told me to join it, so that she could make me "a friend on MySpace". I really got into at one point because it made it easier for me to quickly keep in touch with friends and share photos. Just before I stopped using MySpace, I noticed that artists and aspiring singers/musicians started promoting their work on the website, making MySpace grow. Facebook was mainly created for college students, but it was quickly made available to anyone who had an e-mail address. Facebook is a little different from MySpace in the sense that it made sharing pictures easier. Facebook allows "tagging" which simply consists of naming the people who are present in the picture. MySpace later picked up on the popularity of "tagging" and made it accessible for their users to tag. Besides the fact that Facebook makes it easier for people to share photos, it also makes it easier for people to comment on "the wall". One downside that Facebook might have is that it doesn't let you customize your page, you are stuck with the plain white and blue default colors. Friendster has been around since 2002 and it is considered to be one of the first social networking sites that got popular. Personally, I feel that it is harder to upload pictures on this website. It recently gave people a chance to add fun applications to their personal pages. One application that MySpace and Facebook do not have, but that Friendster has is that it lets you see who visits your page and how many views your page got throughout the whole month. In the United States Friendster is not that popular, but in the Philippines it is the number one social networking site. Many people may not consider YouTube to be a social network because it was strictly made for videos. I feel that is not the case anymore, and YouTube has turned into another social network. People communicate and meet other people on YouTube by commenting and rating other people's videos. YouTube lets you be friends with other "youtubbers".  This website may not seem like your typical social network, but it is rapidly evolving into one. 

1 comment:

Noon said...

I don't really know about facebook because I never use it. However, Hi5 also has "tagging" too. I don't really who started first.
Well, but I like the "tagging." It is another way to meet new friends.